Kerala poets and writers
* Akkitham Achuthan Namboodiri - A famous Malayalam poet who is honored by the epithet Mahaakavi. He won the Kendra Sahithya Academy Award for Malayalam in 1973. His famous poems include 'Irupatam Nuttantinte Ithihasam. Akkitham is associated with Tapasya _ a cultural organization.
* Anita Nair is a famous Indian origin English writer.Her first book was Satyr of the Subway & Eleven Other Stories published in 1997.Other works include The Better Man,Ladies Coupé,Malabar Mind,Goodnight & Godbless,.....
* Arundhati Roy - Writer, awarded the Booker Prize in 1997 for The God of Small Things, which is set in Kerala. Born in Kerala.
* Balachandran Chullikkadu - Poet admired for his realistic approach and hummable and rhythmic poems.His famous literary works are Pathinettu kavithakal,Amavasi,Gasal and Manasantharam.
* Balamani Amma - She was a great Poet.Amma ,the poem ,written by Balamani amma is very famous.she won the highest literary medal in India, the Saraswathi Samman.Other awards bagged by she include award from academy for malayalam literature,Vallathol puraskaram and award from academy for national literature.Famous literary works are Kudumbini,Muthassi,prabhankuram,sopanam,sthree hridayam and avar padunnu.
* Changampuzha Krishna Pillai (1911-1948) - Poet, author of the pastoral elegy Ramanan (1936) which sold over 100,000 copies, a record that still stands. Changampuzha took Malayalam poetry to the zenith of romanticism. His famous works include Ramanan,Bhashpanjali,Sankalpa kanthi,Raktha pushpangal,Thilothama,Dheva geetha,yavanika,maniveena and magdhalana mohini
* Cherusseri Namboodiri - Mahakavi (great poet), part of the old Kavithrayam (triad of poets), with Ezhuthachan and Kunchan Nambiar. Author of Krishnagaadha (The Song of Krishna).He wrote Krishnagadha according to the advise of Kolathunadu udhaya varmma thampuran.Cherusseri was belived to be lived in AD 15th century.
* D. Vinayachandran - He is a Poet,story writer and translator.He has got Kerala sahithya academy award.Famous works include Peru ariyatha marangal,vamsa gadha,narakam,samastha keralam P O and samayamanasam
* Hameed Chennamangaloor - writer, progressive Muslim intellectual, critic of religious fundamentalism.
* Kadammanitta Ramakrishnan- Noted Malayalam Poet.He was born in Kadammanitta .He had bagged Kerala Sahithya Academy award in 1982.His famous works include Kurathi,Kadinjool Pottan,Misrathalam,Mazha Peyyunnu Maddhalam Kottunnu,Sooryasila,Shantha
* Kamala Das - English poet and feminist, also wrote in Malayalam under the pen-name Madhavikkutty. First Indian woman to openly write about woman's sexuality. Embraced Islam under the name Kamala Suraiyya in 1999.She had bagged Asian Poetry Prize, 1964, Kent Award, 1965,Vayalar ramavarma award for neermathalam poothakalam.Famous literary works include Mathilukal,Tharisu nilam,ente snehitha,aruna,chuvappu pavada,pakshiyude maranam,neermathalam poothakalam and mayooram
* Kesari Balakrishna Pillai - Social thinker, Literary critic who influenced a generation of writers and other intellectuals in Kerala during the first half of 20th Century. The name of one of his book "Navalokam" (New World) is symbolical representative of his intellectual contributions. Kesari read and wrote about various subjects. He gave advice and guidance most of the second generation Malayalam writers including, Thakazhi, Basheer, Pottekkadu. Kesari published a newspaper "Kesari" by which name he is known later. Kesari translated many literary works directly from French to show examples of world Literature to then Malayali writers.
* Kumaran Asan - Mahaakavi (great poet), part of the new Kavithrayam, with Ulloor and Vallathol.He was born in the year 1873 at Kayikkara in chirayinkil thalukk.Kumaran Asan was the follower of Srinarayana Guru. He used poetry to influence the society.He spent his entire life period for malayalam literacy and for progress of poor and downtrodden people.His famous works include Chinthavishtta aya seetha,veena poovu,nalini,chandalabhikshuki,leela,vanamala and pushpavadi
* Kalakkaththu Kunchan Nambiar - Mahaakavi (great poet), part of the old Kavithrayam. Founder of the art form Ottan Thullal.He lived in 18th century.He was born at killikkurissimangalam in Palakkad district.He was poet in the palace of the King Marthanadavarma and Dharma.His famous literary works include Seethaswayamvaram,kalyanasougandhikam,kiratham,sreekrishna charitham,Manipravalam,Nalacharitham kilipattu,Bhali vijayam
* Kunjunni-Kunjunni mash was born in the village of Valapad in Thrissur district.His poems were dedicated to Kids with a humour element.His major works includes Kunjunniyude kavithakal,Rashtreeyam,kadankathakal,vithum muthum,kutipencil,unuthottu urakkam vare,Pazhamozhi Pathayam and Aksharathettu.Major awards bagged by Kunjunni mash includes State Institute of Children's literature lifetime achievement award,Kerala Sahitya academi award,Vazhakunnam award and Kerala Sahitya academi lifetime achievement award
* N.S. Madhavan - He is a Writer and a civil servant.He is a story,novel and play writer.Important stories written by N.S madhavan include Higuita,Paryaya Kathaka,Nilavili and Thiruth.Novel-Lanthan Batheriyile Luthiniyakal.Play-Randu Natangangal
* M. Krishnan Nair - Literary critic, whose column Sahithyavaraphalam has long served as a window to contemporary world literature.He was a good teacher too.He was born in Thiruvanthapuram.He was awarded with Goyanka award .His major works include Kala sankalppangal,Adhunika Malayala Kavitha,Prathibhayude Jwalagni,Panineer Puvinte Parimalampole and Sarathkala Deepthi
* M. Mukundan - Novelist, author of Mayyazhippuzhayude Theerangalil and Deyvathinte Vikruthikal.He was born at Mayyazhi in Mahe in 1942.He bagged Kendra Sahithya Academy award for his work Daivathinte Vikrithikal,Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres in 1998 for his contribution to literature,Muttathu varkey award and Kerala Sahitya Academy award for Ee Lokam Athiloru Manushyan.
* Moothiringode Bhavathrathan Namboothiripad - Author of the famous Aphante Makal. He was social reformer especially of the Namboothiri society.
* Moyinkutty Vaidyar - Great poet (Mahakavi), author of many authentic Mappila songs.
* M. P. Parameswaran - Scientist turned social activist, involved with Kerala Sastra Sahitya Parishad.
* M. T. Vasudevan Nair - Writer and cinema personality. Jnanpith Award, 1995.
* Niranam Poets - Three Great Malayali poets Madhava Panikkar, Sankara Panikkar and Rama Panikkar of the Kannassa family. They lived between AD 1350 and 1450 in the Niranam village of Tiruvalla
* Nitya Chaitanya Yati - Scholar, monk.
* O. Chandumenon - Author of the Malayalam novel Indulekha. Also wrote the incomplete novel "Sharada".
* Oommen Chandy - Present Opposition leader of Kerala and the former Chief Minister of the state.
* O. V. Vijayan - Novelist, cartoonist. Author of Khasakkinte Ithihaasam (The Legends of Khasak) and Dharmapuranam (The Saga of Dharmapuri).
* P. Parameswaran - Renowned thinker. Director of Bharatiya Vichara Kendram and former President of Vivekanand Kendra, Kanyakumari. Also known as Parameswarji.
* P. K. Gopi- Poet.
* Paul, M.P. - Literary critic.
* Paul Zacharia - Writer.
* Poomulli Neelakandan Namboothiripad - An expert in arts and literature, Ayurveda, Kalari, Yoga and other performing arts from the famous Poomulli family.
* Poonthanam - Poet belonging to the Bhakti school.
* Shashi Tharoor - Novelist, Commonwealth Writers Prize, 1991; Under-Secretary-General (Communication and Public Information) of the United Nations.
* S. K. Pottakkat (1913 - 1982) - A well-renowned author whose work Oru Desattinte Katha (The Story of a Land) fetched him the Jnanpith award of 1980.
* Sukumar Azhikode - Thinker, teacher, critic and orator.
* Thakazhi Sivasankara Pillai - Novelist and short story writer whose work Chemmeen was awarded Jnanpith Award in 1984.
* Thunchaththu Ramanujan Ezhuthachan - Architect of modern Malayalam. Mahakavi (great poet), part of the old Kavithrayam. Penned the most popular Malayalam renditions of Ramayana and Mahabharata.
* Manu M.R- Poet,short story writer.Popular through his blogs also. * Ulloor S Parameswara Iyer - Poet, part of the new Kavithrayam. Author of Umakeralam.
* Vaikom Muhammad Basheer - Writer, philosopher.
* Vakkom Abdul Khader Moulavi - Publisher of the legendary publication Swadeshabhimani, social reformer, and a prominent leader of the progressive Islahi Movement in Kerala.
* Vallathol Narayana Menon - Mahaakavi, part of the new Kavithrayam. Author of Sahithyamanjari. Founder of Kerala Kalamandalam, the state's flagship institution for the promotion of performing arts.
* Vayalar Ramavarma - Arguably the greatest lyricist in the history of Malayalam cinema.
* Vijayan, M. N - Thinker, writer, literary critic, social activist. Most of his works are compilation of speeches.
* Vyloppilli Sreedhara Menon (1911-1985)- Famous Malayalam poet.
* Yusuf Ali Kechery- Poet.
* Moncy Pothen - English Novelist
* Dinesh Manacaud - noted malayalam short story writer
* Adv.Anil Aickara - noted advocate and legal literary worker
* Venu V Desom - Poet.
* Malayattoor Ramakrishnan - Malayattoor Ramakrishnan (real name K.V.Ramakrishna Iyer, IAS) was a writer, beaurocrat, cartoonist, and was gifted with many more skills. He was the author of Verukal, Yakshi, Dwantha Yudham, Yanthram, Anchu Centu, Ponni and Dr. Vezhambal. Among these Yakshi and Ponni were made into a successful movies. He wrote the screen play or provided the theme to many other movies. Most notable amont them was Gayathri. Even some of the characters in movies not scripted by him, like the central character in Mukthi, have been influenced by his writings. His novel Verukal had an autobiographic touch, while he actually wrote an autobiographic book in Ente Oudyogika Dinangal. Malayattoor was in active politics during his younger days. The famous movie star Jayaram is his nephew.
* C R Krishnan - Writer based in the United Kingdom.